- You’ve got to surround yourself with really good people. Thats one of the biggest reasons I’ve had success.
- Every coach has to coach to their own personality.
- Number one- Our players need to understand we’re there for them.
- We need to do things in practice that will prepare our players for the game so when they’re in a game they will tell themselves that they’ve been there before over and over again.
- Practice preparation is the most important thing a coach can learn
- We need to spend most of our time in practice doing stuff that actually happens in the game.
This episode is brought to you by baseballcloud.
- If you’re the head coach then you need to be able to do everything. You obviously need to delegate but you also need to have an understanding of every aspect on the field.
- In the end you’ve gotta be committed to winning. Its not the 9 best its always the best 9.
- Baseball is a relationship game. Its not about your agenda or your wins and losses, its about the player.
- A bad swing on time has a chance.
- If we’re going to be good, we need to tell everyone what they need to hear not what the want to hear.
- Theres nothing more common than a man with talent who has failed and at the end of the day you aren’t going to tell yourself you wish you hadn’t worked so hard.
62: Bart Hanegraaff- Motor Learning and Skill Acquisition Expert, Hitting Coach for Dutch Baseball and Softball
- We vary a lot with tasks, environment, unstable surfaces and bats and we fatigue parts of the body
- By changing things constantly the body has to find a new solution every time to come up with a good swing.
- We use alot of variety and we make the enviroment chaotic.
- The first thing I look for is the endpoint of the swing
- When we hit batting practice, we never tell them what pitch we’re going to throw.
- We’re trying to go away from looking at fixed movements because they dont happen in a game.
- Frans Bosch book
- Attention and motor skills learning Gabriel Wolfe
- Rob Gray podcast
- Dynamics of skill acquisition
- (On decision training) Athletics is just a series of good decisions, so how can we train that?
- The thing with weighted bats is they help us to solve problems. The bat itself is a teaching device.
- Having a high Level swing doesn’t necessarily make you a high level hitter.
- Creating a culture of buy in and development comes down to being able to talk with your player.